Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Summer 2007: plans and so forth

So here’s a quick update of my life as I approach the year mark in my Peace Corps service.


[My living situation]

The French volunteer that I have been living with since the beginning of this year has decided to terminate his service a year early so that he can be with his girlfriend. I’m sorry to see him go, as he is one of the few people in Kiffa who make me feel at ease. But with him gone, I need to move yet once again. Luckily, the second year volunteer in Kiffa is vacating her house in middle August. So I’m planning on staying at a friend’s house until August when I can move into my new, and hopefully final, residence in Mauritania.


[My working situation]

Work is coming along. I currently have three projects in Kiffa. First, I’m starting a preventive health education program at the Health Center. Second, I’m starting a health library, also at the Health Center. Third, I’m working with the World Food Program to help start and monitor community-based feeding centers.

Hopefully more projects will develop towards the end of summer.


[My traveling situation]

I’m planning on taking a few trips during this summer, and they are as follows:

June: St. Louis, Senegal – Jazz Festival (beginning of June) and a tentative trip to southern Senegal/Mali/Benin (end of June)

July: Kaédi, Mauritania – Eco/Health Camp (Helping out at a weeklong summer camp for young Mauritanian girls; beginning of July)

August: Casablanca, Morocco – Traveling around Morocco with Lakshmy (beginning to middle August)



All right, that’s all I can think of at the moment. Entries and emails may become somewhat few over the next few months, but I’ll try to write and update every so often. Ya’ll take care now…

1 comment:

lshmizzle said...

ritesh!

ok, so i tried to call you at 222-742-2683 and i used +00 then 2227422683 to txt you from my cell. did you get it? ok, my number is 08-211-840. the country code is 250...i have been able to receive calls with that set of numbers from the US, so please txt me! and then i'll see if we can set up a time to skype, or something. can you skype?